Thursday, January 23, 2014

40K Survey Results - Thoughts/Outcomes/Decisions to Follow

So, first off, the results of the survey. With over 100 responses, the numbers here are pretty strong as a percentage of those surveyed.

There was a gate question for each item - the NOVA Open Narrative and the NOVA Open 40K GT. Anyone who stated they were not interested in participating at all was gated past any subsequent questions relating to said events.

Click through the break to read more ...


NOVA Open 40K Narrative: Descension Survey Results

Which of the following BEST describes you?


I attended previous NOVA Open Narrative events and WILL likely participate again in 2014: 44.4%
I am likely to attend my FIRST NOVA Open Narrative event in 2014: 48.9%
I attended previous NOVA Open Narrative events but am UNLIKELY to participate in 2014: 6.7%

Summary - 93.3% of respondents are likely participants in this year's Narrative event

___________________________________________________________________________

How do you feel about Escalation in the Narrative?
The following question regards the ESCALATION Supplement for Warhammer 40,000. Select the option that BEST reflects your preferences. How does ESCALATION's inclusion or exclusion affect your likelihood of participation in the Narrative?


I will NOT participate if Escalation is allowed: 15.6%
I will participate either way, but would prefer Escalation be banned: 35.6%
This question has no impact on my decision to attend and I have no preference: 28.9%
I will participate either way, but would prefer Escalation be allowed: 20%
I will NOT participate if Escalation is banned: 0%

Summary - 51.2% of respondents prefer Escalation be BANNED from the Narrative event; 20% prefer it be ALLOWED; 28.9% do not care.

___________________________________________________________________________

If Escalation were allowed, how do you feel about D Weapons?
Understanding we have not finalized a decision to use or not use the ESCALATION supplement, please answer the following question to help inform our decision-making. IF ESCALATION were to be used, how do you feel about the use of Destroyer (D) Weapons in the Narrative?


Destroyer (D) Weapons should NEVER be used in the Narrative: 40%
Destroyer (D) Weapons should be modified to be less effective in the Narrative: 31.1%
Destroyer (D) Weapons should be used exactly as written in Escalation in the Narrative: 15.6%
This question has no impact on my decision to attend and I have no preference: 13.3%

Summary - The 20% preferring its allowance reduces to 15.6% preferring its unadulterated allowance.


___________________________________________________________________________

How do you feel about STRONGHOLD ASSAULT in the Narrative?
The following question regards the STRONGHOLD ASSAULT Supplement for Warhammer 40,000. Select the option that BEST reflects your preferences. How does STRONGHOLD ASSAULT's inclusion or exclusion affect your likelihood of participation in the Narrative?


I will NOT participate if Stronghold Assault is allowed: 8.9%
I will participate either way, but would prefer Stronghold Assault be banned: 22.2%
This question has no impact on my decision to attend and I have no preference: 33.3%
I will participate either way, but would prefer Stronghold Assault be allowed: 35.6%
I will NOT participate if Stronghold Assault is banned: 0%

Summary - 31.1% of respondents prefer Stronghold Assault be BANNED from the Narrative event; 35.6% prefer it be ALLOWED; 33.3% do not care.

___________________________________________________________________________

How do you feel about FORMATIONS in the Narrative?
The following question regards the use of DIGITAL FORMATIONS for Warhammer 40,000 (i.e., the Tau Broadside/Riptide Fire Support Cadre). Select the option that BEST reflects your preferences. How does the inclusion or exclusion of DIGITAL FORMATIONS affect your likelihood of participation in the Narrative?


I will NOT participate if Formations are allowed: 15.6%
I will participate either way, but would prefer Formations be banned: 28.9%
This question has no impact on my decision to attend and I have no preference: 33.3%
I will participate either way, but would prefer Formations be allowed: 20%
I will NOT participate if Formations are banned: 2.2%

Summary - 44.5% of respondents prefer Formations be BANNED from the Narrative event; 22.2% prefer they be ALLOWED; 33.3% do not care.

___________________________________________________________________________

How do you feel about DATASLATES in the Narrative?
The following question regards the use of DIGITAL DATASLATES for Warhammer 40,000 (i.e., Cypher or the Daemon Prince Belakor). Select the option that BEST reflects your preferences. How does the inclusion or exclusion of DIGITAL DATASLATES affect your likelihood of participation in the Narrative?


I will NOT participate if Dataslates are allowed: 0%
I will participate either way, but would prefer Dataslates be banned: 8.9%
This question has no impact on my decision to attend and I have no preference: 26.7%
I will participate either way, but would prefer Dataslates be allowed: 57.8%
I will NOT participate if Dataslates are banned: 6.7%

Summary - 8.9% of respondents prefer Dataslates be BANNED from the Narrative event; 64.5% prefer they be ALLOWED; 26.7% do not care.


___________________________________________________________________________
___________________________________________________________________________


NOVA Open 40K GT Survey Results

Which of the following BEST describes you?


I attended previous NOVA Open 40K GTs and WILL likely attend again in 2014: 75.3%
This year will likely be my first NOVA Open 40K GT: 21.3%
I attended past NOVA Open 40K GTs and will likely NOT attend in 2014: 3.4%

Summary - 96.6% of respondents are likely participants in this year's GT

___________________________________________________________________________

How do you feel about ESCALATION in the GT?
The following question regards the ESCALATION Supplement for Warhammer 40,000. Select the option that BEST reflects your preferences. How does ESCALATION's inclusion or exclusion affect your likelihood of participation in the 40K GT?


I will NOT participate if Escalation is allowed: 32.6%
I will participate either way, but would prefer Escalation be banned: 46.1%
This question has no impact on my decision to attend and I have no preference: 5.6%
I will participate either way, but would prefer Escalation be allowed: 13.5%
I will NOT participate if Escalation is banned: 2.2%

Summary - 78.7% of respondents prefer Escalation be BANNED from the GT; 15.7% prefer it be ALLOWED; 5.6% do not care.
* a note here - we asked the same follow-up question about D-Weapons as we did for the Narrative, but it's a little superfluous to use the graphic: 60.7% totally against them, 16.9% only OK if modified, 15.7% totally for them, 6.7% don't care

___________________________________________________________________________

How do you feel about STRONGHOLD ASSAULT in the GT?
The following question regards the STRONGHOLD ASSAULT Supplement for Warhammer 40,000. Select the option that BEST reflects your preferences. How does STRONGHOLD ASSAULTs inclusion or exclusion affect your likelihood of participation in the 40K GT?


I will NOT participate if Stronghold Assault is allowed: 16.9%
I will participate either way, but would prefer Stronghold Assault be banned: 46.1%
This question has no impact on my decision to attend and I have no preference: 14.6%
I will participate either way, but would prefer Stronghold Assault be allowed: 18%
I will NOT participate if Stronghold Assault is banned: 4.5%

Summary - 63% of respondents prefer Stronghold Assault be BANNED from the GT; 22.5% prefer it be ALLOWED; 14.6% do not care.

___________________________________________________________________________

How do you feel about FORMATIONS in the GT?
The following question regards the DIGITAL FORMATIONS (i.e. the Broadside/Riptide Tau Fire Support Cadre Formation) for Warhammer 40,000. Select the option that BEST reflects your preferences. How does the inclusion or exclusion of DIGITAL FORMATIONS affect your likelihood of participation in the 40K GT?


I will NOT participate if Formations are allowed: 16.9%
I will participate either way, but would prefer Formations be banned: 46.1%
This question has no impact on my decision to attend and I have no preference: 16.9%
I will participate either way, but would prefer Formations be allowed: 18%
I will NOT participate if Formations are banned: 2.2%

Summary - 63% of respondents prefer Formations be BANNED from the GT; 20.2% prefer they be ALLOWED; 16.9% do not care.

___________________________________________________________________________

How do you feel about DATASLATES in the GT?
The following question regards the DIGITAL DATASLATES (i.e. Cypher or the Daemon Prince Belakor) for Warhammer 40,000. Select the option that BEST reflects your preferences. How does the inclusion or exclusion of DIGITAL DATASLATES affect your likelihood of participation in the 40K GT?


I will NOT participate if Dataslates are allowed: 2.2%
I will participate either way, but would prefer Dataslates be banned: 22.5%
This question has no impact on my decision to attend and I have no preference: 22.5%
I will participate either way, but would prefer Dataslates be allowed: 46.1%
I will NOT participate if Dataslates are banned: 6.7%

Summary - 24.7% of respondents prefer Dataslates be BANNED from the GT; 52.8% prefer they be ALLOWED; 22.5% do not care.

___________________________________________________________________________

How do you feel about 40K-Approved Forgeworld in the GT?
The following question regards "40K Approved" FORGEWORLD UNITS for Warhammer 40,000. Select the option that BEST reflects your preferences. How does the inclusion or exclusion of "40K Approved" FORGEWORLD UNITS affect your likelihood of participation in the 40K GT?


I will likely NOT participate if 40K Approved FW Units are allowed: 15.7%
I will likely participate either way, but would prefer 40K Approved FW Units be banned: 32.6%
This question has no impact on my decision to attend and I have no preference: 13.5%
I will likely participate either way, but would prefer 40K Approved FW units be allowed: 28.1%
I will likely NOT participate if 40K Approved FW Units are banned: 10.1%

Summary - 48.3% of respondents prefer 40K Approved Units be BANNED from the GT; 38.2% prefer they be ALLOWED; 13.5% do not care.


___________________________________________________________________________

How do you feel about restricting 40K-Approved Forgeworld in the GT to 0-1 vs. full allow or full ban?
Understanding we have not finalized a decision to use or not use "40K Approved" FORGEWORLD UNITS, please answer the following question to help inform our decision-making. This question may seem somewhat redundant with the previous one. IF "40K Approved" FORGEWORLD UNITS were to be used, how do you feel about their use in the 40K GT?


40K Approved FW Units should NEVER be used in the 40K GT: 22.5%
40K Approved FW Units should be restricted to 0-1 // made "Unique" in the 40K GT: 40.4%
40K Approved FW Units should be freely permitted in the 40K GT: 31.5%
This question has no impact on my decision to participate and I have no preference: 5.6%

Summary - 62.9% of Respondents think 40K Approved units should be restricted or banned; 71.9% of Respondents think 40K Approved units should be restricted or allowed; 5.6% do not care.


___________________________________________________________________________

How do you feel about other non-Apoc Forgeworld in the GT?
The following question regards FORGEWORLD UNITS for Warhammer 40,000 that are NOT stamped "40K Approved" and are also NOT Lords of War (i.e., Gargantuan Creatures or Super Heavy Vehicles). Select the option that BEST reflects your preferences. How does the inclusion or exclusion of non-"40K Approved" FORGEWORLD UNITS and Army Lists affect your likelihood of participation in the 40K GT?


I will likely NOT participate if non-40K Approved FW Units and Army Lists are allowed: 34.8%
I will likely participate either way, but would prefer non-40K Approved FW Units and Army Lists Units be banned: 42.7%
This question has no impact on my decision to attend and I have no preference: 15.7%
I will likely participate either way, but would prefer non-40K Approved FW Units and Army Lists units be allowed: 5.6%
I will likely NOT participate if non-40K Approved FW Units and Army Lists are banned: 1.1%

Summary - 77.5% of respondents prefer non-40K Approved Units be BANNED from the GT; 6.7% prefer they be ALLOWED; 15.7% do not care.

*Note - Just like with the Escalation question following to D-Weapons, the follow-on "what about 0-1?" question for non-40K Approved FW units was very lopsided, not requiring a graphic representation; 61.8% still against their use at all; 23.6% in favor of 0-1; 6.7% in favor of free use; 7.9% don't care



___________________________________________________________________________

How do you feel about the concept of Bans, Composition Restrictions and/or Rules Changes in the 40K GT?
This question regards the use of Ban Lists // Composition Restrictions // Rules Changes at the NOVA Open 2014 Warhammer 40,000 GT. Background: The NOVA Open traditionally does not implement composition, codex unit bans or rules changes. Composition usually alters how the standard Force Organization Chart operates. Bans usually limit or ban certain units or combinations. Rules Changes may do something such as limit the power of a certain rule or combo from a rules perspective (as opposed to a ban perspective). Understanding this question is meant merely to test the prospective attendee's general feelings about the subject, with any further survey applied only if necessary to hone in on specific preference, please select the answer that BEST reflects the impact of Bans // Composition // Rules Changes on your likelihood of attending the 2014 40K GT.?


I would likely NOT attend the 40K GT if the organizers instituted Ban Lists or Composition Restrictions: 11.2%
I would likely attend the 40K GT either way, but prefer the organizers NOT implement any Ban Lists or Composition Restrictions: 32.6%
This question has no impact on my decision to participate and I have no preference: 20.2%
I would likely attend the 40K GT either way, but would prefer the organizers implement Ban Lists or Composition Restrictions: 34.8%
I would likely NOT attend the 40K GT unless the organizers implement Ban Lists or Composition Restrictions: 1.1%

Summary - 43.8% of Respondents would rather not even consider Ban Lists / Composition Restrictions / Rules Changes; 35.9% of Respondents think Ban Lists / Composition Restrictions / Rules Changes are worth discussing; 20.2% do not care.

13 comments:

  1. That is almost what I was expecting of the spread, though I thought 40k approved would score a little more desirably for it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I personally voted to allow everything and not ban/restrict anything, but I figured I was in the vast minority. The spreads on a bunch of these really surprises me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Not sure why SHA was not more favorable.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. At least for me a lot of it has to do with the fact that models/dimensions don't exist for lots of the models. Unless a GT is going to arbitrarily state how big things are and make several other rulings the book does not work.

      Delete
  4. Stronghold Assault is unliked because of the D weapons and an AV15 fortification, and void shields. Take those out and you will add a lot of cool options that casual players enjoy. Our test tournament resulted in the same conclusion except no one felt that Void Shields were overpowered. I strongly agree with Stronghold Assault minus D weapons and AV15 buildings only.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would think that the average 15 fortification eats so many points that it's not OP. And the same for its D weapon since it can be targeted separately. Void shields do seem broken though I have yet to pay against them.

      Delete
  5. Disappointed that Formations aren't well liked, I wanted to run Cypher's.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cypher is just a data slate and well liked in the survey. He's even mentioned in the question.

      Delete
    2. He has a Formation too, the one with the infiltrating Chosen.

      Delete
    3. I wonder how people would have responded to a question allowing Formations other than the Tau Fire Support Cadre.

      Delete
  6. Considering we haven't seen the tyranid formations yet, I'm worried about formations not being allowed. The Black Library blog post hints that their formations may work as a standalone force, might open up some options for nid players.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I am personally a little disappointed that formations aren't gaining any traction. I think the Space Marine ones could be pretty cool. But the Tau just have to go and ruin everything again...

      Delete
  7. Escalation and Stronghold are the only way to balance the Seer Council and Screamer Star rerollable 2+ save stars. Otherwise you can only run away and hope you can out score him before he can wreck you. D weapons are on platforms that are imminently kill able, and they kill stars, which kill your anti AV units that can waste the D platform. I call that balance, and a interesting game for all imo.

    ReplyDelete