Friday, May 21, 2010

A Wheek Without Whiskey - Well, Maybe for Ya'll


Well, it's time to head to a week at the beach, a much-needed vacation, with 16 of my closest friends.

Some may think that 29 (I'll turn 29 this coming Tuesday) is too old for a week at the beach, and to them I say ....

NEENER NEENER NEEEEENERRRRR

Proving their point admirably.


So while I'm frolicking in the water and waves, enjoying our massive beach house with its pool table, Foosball table, pool, hot tub, elevator, and other accoutrement ... au re voire, blogosphere.

While I'm away, ponder this addendum to my [unexpectedly] wide-read post of just before this ... The fact that it is not your opponent's responsibility to make sure you have fun does not mean I personally practice, nor advocate, a playstyle that eschews concern for your opponent.

In fact, let me take a page from my own old book and quote the great athlete Jesse Owens ...
"In the end, it's extra effort that separates a winner from second place. But winning takes a lot more than that, too. It starts with complete command of the fundamentals. Then it takes desire, determination, discipline, and self-sacrifice. And finally, it takes a great deal of love, fairness and respect for your fellow man. Put all these together, and even if you don't win, how can you lose?"

It's important to note that you must reconcile your own actions with yourself - if you are not a truly sporting person with the real heart of a champion, you deserve very little out of your gaming experience. Regardless, the great champions of old never sneered in retrospect at their opponents - inglorious or otherwise.

When someone throws sand in your eyes, unsportingly, do not return the favor - most importantly, do not return the favor after the bout. Beat them anyway, and pick them up off the ground when you're finished, even if they spit in your face as they do so. To win is one thing, but to win and be grand is another altogether.

My post prior to this was a message from my opinion on what you should EXPECT from others - nothing. Take what they give you, take them for who they are, and be your own person. It's not a lesson on how YOU or I should behave, but on how to best insulate your own happiness from the predations of nefarious others.

Consider it in that light, while I enjoy a light beer.

I'm kidding. Fuck light beer.

- Mike

7 comments:

  1. What no light beer... what happened to miller time?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, fuck light beer.

    Lucky sod, have a great time!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Whatever will your 2 readers do while you are away!!?!

    :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like the end of Kung Fu Hustle, where our hero inevitably trounces the bad guy. Rather than kill him he lifts him up out of the dirt and tells the bad guy that he will teach him if he likes. The bad guy throws himself at the feet of the hero and cries out "Master!"

    There's a very good Mad Men analogy there as well, but I think you get it. Pick 'em up, help 'em out. There's no future in gaming if you persuade people that only jerks play this game.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hate to make you jealous, but at this very moment i am consuming my first Session Lager. Good stuff, thanks for the recommendation.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm looking forward to a nice Loose Cannon next week. I'm going a pub what has it on draft.

    ReplyDelete