Just a quick couple of changes for everyone to be aware/reminded of.
1) Many players were fatigued when they were knocked out of contention and still gaming their 7th and 8th rounds at the NOVA 2011. That said, many people were still enjoying their games come Rounds 7 and 8, even if knocked out of contention.
So, the solution is as follows:
- More time for each round, 2.5 hours instead of 2.25
- Rounds 1+2 on Friday afternoon (when most players had registered anyway) and evening
- Rounds 3+4 on Saturday AM
- Records reset and rebrackets completed during Saturday Lunch
- Rounds 5+6 on Saturday PM
- Best Overall scoring completes after Round 6
- Each Bracket of 16's Final Four play in Formal Rounds 7-8 on Sunday AM (so, 64 of 256 players)
- All remaining players can participate in up to two rounds of organizer-assisted / pairings-based Open Gaming (so, effectively continuing to play against record/list-based peers in proper tournament missions), OR can sleep in
2) Margin of Victory had a fixed % impact on Best Overall. We didn't like this, in the end; it's the BEST way to break a tie between Best Overall finishers who manage to tie their score, but we didn't want anything other than Win/Loss to be relevant to the 50% of Renaissance Man comprised of competitive score. So, the new Renaissance Man scoring will be as follows:
- 50% of your score is Appearance, normalized to a 0-1 (so, Appearance Score / 160 = Appearance Rating for Ren Man)
- 50% of your score is Win/Loss, inherently normalized to a 0-1 (so, Wins/Games Played = Competitive Rating for Ren Man)
- In case of a tie in these categories, % of Goals Achieved ("Margin") will be used as it was for past years to break ties
3) In case of last minute drops or other instances causing less than 256 players to be present for the 40k GT, it will be possible for up to several players who go 3-1 to pass up into the otherwise 4-0 championship bracket, and compete for Tournament Champion / Best General. In 2011, only players who lost their Fourth Round game could advance in this fashion, meaning a player could not lose his first game, and battle back to earn his way into the Sweet 16. This will change in 2012; if we have last minute drops or another Hurriquake, any 3-1 finisher could potentially make it into the championship bracket.